Artificial intelligence(AI) used to track the essential part of farming “Pollinators”. Artificial intelligence (AI) a Game-Changing Role in Bee Tracking for Farmers.
Agriculture has been the backbone of the world’s economy for centuries, and farmers are always looking for ways to optimize their production. One of the key factors that determine crop yield is pollination, which is largely carried out by bees. In recent years, there has been a decline in the bee population due to various factors such as climate change, habitat loss, and pesticide use.
This has had a significant impact on crop production, and farmers are now turning to technology to help mitigate the issue. AI-based bee tracking is one such solution that has gained a lot of attention in recent times and changing the course of the farming in modern trends. In this article, we will explore the role of AI in bee tracking and how it can help farmers.
What is AI-based Bee Tracking?
AI-based bee tracking involves the use of cameras and image recognition technology to track the movement of bees. The cameras are placed near the bee hives or the crop fields, and they capture images of the bees as they fly in and out. The AI algorithms then process these images to identify individual bees and track their movement patterns. This information can be used to gather data on the bee population, such as their population density, flight paths, and behavior patterns.
The Benefits of AI-based Bee Tracking for Farmers:
Improved Crop Yields:
The information gathered through AI-based bee tracking can help farmers optimize their crop yield by identifying the areas where pollination is inadequate. This enables farmers to take appropriate action, such as relocating the bee hives or introducing more bees to the area.
Better Pest Management:
AI-based bee tracking can also help farmers identify pest infestations in their crops. Bees tend to avoid areas where there are pests, so if there is a decrease in bee activity in a particular area, it could be an indication of a pest problem. Farmers can then take action to address the issue before it becomes a bigger problem.
By providing farmers with information on bee populations and behavior patterns, AI-based bee tracking can help reduce the costs associated with pollination. Farmers can optimize the use of bee hives and reduce the need for expensive pollination services.
AI-based bee tracking is an environmentally-friendly solution to the problem of declining bee populations. By providing farmers with the tools to optimize pollination, they can reduce their reliance on pesticides and other harmful chemicals.
Recent studies in strawberry farm in victoria, Australia.
In a recent study conducted inside a green house at strawberry farm in Victoria, Australia, many miniature digital cameras and computers installed to track honeybees and other pollinators as they flew from one plant to other plant.
Are you wondering what are miniature cameras for?
Miniature cameras can also be used for capturing high-quality images and video footage in situations where larger cameras may not be able to fit or manoeuvre easily. For example, they are often used in sports and action photography to capture footage from unique and hard-to-reach angles.
We utilized specialized AI software to analyze multiple days of video footage captured by our system, allowing us to gain insight into the pollination behaviour taking place across a large area. This will enable better use of the fam resources and increase the food production.
Pollination plays a crucial role in producing fruits, vegetable, legumes, nuts. Optimal pollination requires just the right number of insect pollinators to visits to flowers. As the population is rapidly growing with diminishing farming lands and limited natural resources, we need more efficient and sustainable ways to produce food.
Read also ….
The world’s First Honeybee vaccine approved by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture).
Usually we use typical techniques for monitoring insect pollination by direct observation or pan trapping, which consume much time, labour intensive(trained observers) and impossible to collect for large farms. Yet such data are needed to provide the time-crucial evidence of the extent of crop pollination before the time period of pollination is finished. With our digital systems, farm manager can manage to get the day-to-day data on crop pollination levels.
Fine grain analysis of pollinators movement for better food production.
At Sunny Ridge farm, a pollination monitoring system was installed in a strawberry greenhouse that allows insects to enter. The system consists of a set of cameras that observe the insects’ behavior among the strawberry plants. The cameras captured footage of honeybees, hoverflies, moths, butterflies, and a few types of wasps.
Custom software to manage thee insect data (pollinators)
- The pollination monitoring system at Sunny Ridge farm collects a large volume of data on insect behavior in a strawberry greenhouse.
- Custom software is required to accurately track individual insects flying among complex foliage.
- The software uses a hybrid detection model combining deep learning and foreground detection algorithms.
- The Hungarian algorithm is used to compute insect paths and understand insect behavior and pollination efficiency.
- Honeybees were the most frequent visitors to the monitored area, but visits by other insects also contributed to pollination success. Our analysis showed 68% of recorded flowers received the minimum number of four insect visits required for full fertilisation during the monitoring period.
- The monitoring system provides evidence for farmers to make decisions about hive locations, greenhouse sidewalls, and attractant flowers to optimize pollination success.
- Smart insect management can lead to a higher yield of market-quality fruit and help meet the need for healthy produce in a growing population.
In conclusion, the use of AI-based bee tracking is a game-changer for farmers, providing them with the tools to optimize their crop yield and reduce their reliance on harmful chemicals. As technology continues to evolve, it is likely that we will see more innovative solutions to the challenges faced by the agricultural industry. AI-based bee tracking is just one example of how technology can be used to help farmers optimize their production while protecting the environment.
- Biological nitrogen” One(1)of the most investable clean technology ventures in canada.
- Carbon credit market: India’s First Organic Farmer Makes The Earth Greener And Gets Paid.
- Harvest Solar Energy And Food Together Using Agrivoltaics.
- JohnDeer’s (Exactshot) new planter technology: Future of sustainable farming
- Indian union budget 2023-24 for agriculture sector from Natural farming to Startup funds.
- WikiFarmer a Greek startup Leads the Charge in Digitizing Agriculture with its Latest €5 Million Raise